Strong evidence suggests chemicals in our environment are contributing to or causing many chronic health complaints seen by clinicians. These Chemicals are considered to be "ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS".
The Endocrine System is made up of glands that produce & secrete hormones - chemical substances that are produced in the body,that regulate the activity of cells & organs. These hormones regulate the body's mood, growth, metabolism & sexual development & function. Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals mimic our natural hormones by binding to the same receptor sites that our hormones bind to.
Strong scientific evidence exists for the following impacts on our health:
* OBESITY & DIABETES * FEMALE & MALE INFERTILITY * HORMONE SENSITIVE CANCERS IN FEMALES * THYROID ISSUES
* PROSTATE CONDITIONS * ANXIETY /DEPRESSION * CHRONIC FATIGUE * FIBROMYALGIA * INFLAMMATION
COMMON ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS ARE:
* Dioxins * Bispehnol A/BPA *Bisphenol F * Pesticides & Herbicides (think Round-up!) * Phhalates *Perfluorinated Chemicals (PFCs)
* Heavy Metals * Organophosphate Pesticides * Petroleums * Alcohol * Nano Particles
WHERE ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS ARE FOUND:
* Plastic Bottles * Plastic storage containers & wraps * Tinned food (lining of can contains BPA) * Detergents * Plastic wrap * Fragrances
* Flame retardants * Food (from BPA & plastic packaging) * Plastic Toys * Cosmetics & skincare * Non-stick Cookware * Coatings on
clothing, furniture & carpet.
SUSCEPTIBILITY TO ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS
CHILDREN: consume more food & drink, breath more, have undeveloped detox pathways, have reduced gut flora, developing neurons.
WOMEN: have higher fat to muscle ratio, are the highest consumer of personal care products.
ELDERLY & IMMUNE COMPROMISED.
Those who have polymorphisms (genetic mutations) in detoxification pathways.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO REDUCE THE IMPACT OF ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS?
Start taking a proactive approach to limiting your exposure - one thing at a time. Every change you make is a small step towards achieving less chemical exposure in your life & your families.
FOOD & COOKWARE - reduce packaged foods, avoid cookware containing toxins - non-stick, aluminium, copper. Buy organic wherever possible.
PLASTICS - Avoid plastic wherever possible or use cautiously. Instead use glass, wax wraps or stainless steel.
PERSONAL CARE & CLEANING PRODUCTS - may contain pthalates, parabens, PEG, SLS, PERC, triclosan, QUATS and many more.
Personal Care products are manufactured with over 10,500 chemical ingredients, some of which are known or suspected carcinogens.
We use on average 9 personal care products per day. Women may use up to 15.
Choose organic & chemical free products.
WATER: Australian tap water is contaminated with lean & copper, largely from their use in water pipe construction. Use filtered water whenever possible.
SUPPORT YOUR BODIES DETOXIFICATION PHASES so that endocrine disruptors are excreted instead of creating ill health.
If you are uncertain how to support your detoxification, make an appointment for a consultation. Everyone has different detoxification needs, depending
on lifestyle, workplace environments & genetic tendencies. During a consultation, we can tailor a detoxification plan that will address your specific needs.